Latest posts by Dawn Schenone, MSACN, CNS, LDN (see all)
- 8 Tips to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain - November 10, 2019
- 9 Healthy Food Swaps that Will Transform Your Health - March 31, 2019
- Plant-Based Protein: All You Need to Know - February 17, 2019
Loaded Chickpea Salad
Yield 3 Servings
This is similar to egg salad or tuna salad, but with chickpeas! Serve in a lightly steamed collard green, bib lettuce leaf, a wrap, or on top of a salad. This recipe is very flexible and forgiving! Add ingredients or spices that you may enjoy and create a whole new flavor!
- 1- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed1
- ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard tablespoons store-bought or homemade mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoons of lemon juice (add a bit of zest if you like it lemony)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup dill pickle, finely chopped (or 2-3 T of relish)
- 2 teaspoon capers
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon turmeric, celery seeds, smoked paprika, tahini, coconut aminos, jalapeno, avocado
- Mash chickpeas in a large bowl with a fork or pulse in a food processor until chunky (to preference)
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
- Enjoy with celery, in a lettuce wrap, or as a sandwich!
Reduce or eliminate sea salt and capers to lower sodium level. I like Chosen Foods Coconut Oil Mayo, but you can also use a vegan mayo or make your own! I have substituted with a homemade cashew based mayo which works great as well. Any modifications will change the nutritional content listed.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 10.3 g
Unsaturated Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 375 mg
Total Carbohydrates 34.9 g
Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
Sugars 7.1 g
Protein 10.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.